Emmanuel Nwude: Court To Decide Ownership Of Forfeited Property In Lagos

Raymond Ozoji, Awka

Anambra-born business tycoon, Emmanuel Nwude, who between 1995 and 1998 was alleged to have defrauded a Brazilian Bank of $242million, has returned to the Court of Appeal Lagos Division to reclaim a property he allegedly forfeited in a plea bargain with the federal government.

Nwude who hails from Abagana in Njikoka local government area of Anambra state was said to have forfeited the property at Plot 38B Mobalaji Johnson Street Oregun-Alausa, Ikeja Lagos after being tried by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for defrauding the said bank with promise to sell an inexistent airport in Abuja.

The businessman has returned to court over a no case submission which had been dismissed by a High Court presided over by Honourable Justice M. A Dada in respect to offences relating to conspiracy, forgery, perjury, uttering, perversion of justice, giving false information to public officer and interfering with a forfeited property.

Justice Dada in the matter with charge No. ID/6407C/2017 dismissed the application by Chief Nwude on 13th day of September 2019.

But Nwude approached the Appeal Court in his attempt to reclaim the forfeited property, and will be expected to open defence this Thursday.

The business mogul will be in court alongside his lawyers, Emmanuel Ilechukwu and Rowland Kalu, for allegedly conspiring to forge documents, with the aim of reclaiming a property at Plot 38B, now known as plot Y in Mobalaji Johnson Street Oregun-Alusa Ikeja, Mobolaji Anthony Ikeja Lagos property.

A press release by Chris Igbokwe, Executive Director G. C . Nweze and Company Limited, which was made available to journalists in Awka, Anambra State, stated that the property which was forfeited to the federal government by Nwude was later sold to his company, but Nwude who forfeited the property in a plea bargain with the federal government later started laying claims to the property, after his company had purchased it.

Igbokwe stated in the press release that, “EFCC has closed their case since January 2019 but the defendants, Emmanuel Nwude, Emmanuel Ilechukwu and Rowland Kalu named in the charge have not been able to open their defence, and will do so on Thursday.

“The world is watching the outcome of the no case submission before the Court of Appeal coming up on July 9th 2020 as Emmanuel Nwude, Emmanuel Ilechukwu and Rowland Kalu and that is the reason for this press release.

“Nwude had previously abandoned his lawyers in Lagos while they stood trial, but he was arrested in Awka on 26 September 2017, where he was standing trial for another criminal charge, and brought to Lagos to face trial.”

One comment

  1. Augustine Onyemaobi

    Naija, a no case submission returning back to claim. Nsogbu dikwa. It is a non issue in a working system but this is Nigeria. We are watching.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: