No fewer than three construction workers have been shot dead at a site in the Anthony area of Lagos by some hoodlums suspected to be land grabbers.
The bandits, who reportedly wore masks, stormed the site on Thursday in two buses and opened fire on the workers.
City Round learnt that the three mobile policemen posted to the site to protect the workers could not repel the attack.
A reliable source told our correspondent that two of the victims died on the spot while the third person was confirmed dead in a hospital.
He said the land had been a subject of litigation and dispute among three families over the years.
The source said, “The hoodlums went to the site in two buses that afternoon. They wore masks and shot indiscriminately. Three mobile policemen were guarding the workers, but they could not resist the hoodlums. They killed three of the workers. The land is under dispute; it is very big. Three families are fighting over its ownership.”
The source added that the policemen had been detained at the Pedro Police Station for lack of diligence.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Bala Elkana, confirmed the incident, but said two fatalities were recorded.
He said, “Two persons were killed. We are still investigating the matter. That place has been a subject of litigation. The policemen were not detained. When something happens, we ask questions. We need to hear the account of what happened from them. It is a normal procedure and part of the investigation process.”