Police have reopened the investigation into sex assault allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.
American model Kathryn Mayorga accused Ronaldo of assaulting her during a holiday to Las Vegas on June 13, 2009 – the player strenuously denies the claims.
Juventus forward Ronaldo has strongly denied all of the claims and appeared in an Instagram video over the weekend, where he said: “No, no, no, no, no. What they said today? Fake, fake news.”
A police statement read: “The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department responded to a call of sexual assault on June 13, 2009. At the time the report was taken, the victim did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description. A medical exam was conducted.
“As of September 2018, the case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided by the victim. This is an on-going investigation and no further details will be released at this time.”
Ronaldo sat out of Juventus training on Monday ahead of the Champions League clash with Young Boys, but he is suspended for the clash.
The allegations against Ronaldo were published on Friday by German magazine Der Spiegel.
In a statement last week Ronaldo’s lawyers said the magazine’s article is “blatantly illegal. It violates the personal rights of our client Cristiano Ronaldo in an exceptionally serious way. This is an inadmissible reporting of suspicions in the area of privacy.”
On Sunday the footballer took to Instagram to again debunk the claims.
“What they said today: Fake, fake news,” he said on a video posted on the social media.
“They want to promote by my name. It’s normal. They want to be famous,” he continued.
“It’s part of the job. I’m happy man and all good.”
After the alleged assault, Ronaldo and Mayorga are claimed to have reached an out-of-court agreement, according to Leslie Mark Stovall, lawyer for the alleged victim Mayorga.
The report claims that she had pledged never to speak of the accusation again, before Ronaldo allegedly paid her $375,000.
She is now trying to overturn that non-disclosure agreement with her lawyer confirming papers had been filed at Clark County District Court in Nevada.
The court documents state Ronaldo pulled the plaintiff into a bedroom and on to a bed and attempted to engage in sexual intercourse.
It said the plaintiff refused, tried to cover herself and was screaming: “No, no, no”.
It adds: “When Cristiano Ronaldo completed the sexual assault, he allowed her to leave the bedroom stating he was sorry, he was usually a gentleman.”
Ms Mayora was 25 at the time and working for a nightclub inside the Palms Casino, in which Ronaldo, his brother in a law and cousin were in the VIP area on June 13, 2009.
Pictures show the Ronaldo and Ms Mayorga chatting before he invited her to his penthouse room to “enjoy the view of the Las Vegas strip”.
The suite has a jacuzzi and while Ms Mayorga was changing, the court papers seen by Der Spiegel claim he walked in, exposed himself and asked her to engage in a sex act.